Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Yachts and Lamborghinis at Lake Como...sort of.

Our trip to Lake Como was a much needed beautiful get-away. I had been feeling a little couped up and needed to get out and see something that was breathtaking. Lake Como surely scratched my itch. Just about 40 miles away from us here in Milan is Lake Como. It was perfect for a day trip, but we spent the night at a charming little hotel called "Hotel Posta" We arrived and drove up the West Coast of Lake Como which is shaped like an upside down "Y." We drove through the town of Laglio which is where George Clooney owns his Villas. We didn't spot George, but since he is newly single, I'm sure he was out cruising for a new hot Italian girlfriend on his motorcylce.


The road that runs along the lake is literally a one lane road with no shoulder that does marginally give way to 2 cars, the occasional pedestrian walking, parked cars...really....and of course motorcylcles and mopeds. There are villas lining the lake side of the road and Villas and businesses lining the hill-side of the road. It was a very tight squeeze where you should drive slow to give way to other cars, but the urge to go super fast just creeps up on you :) We saw multiple lamborghini's making their mark on the roads going quite fast!

We had lunch lakeside at a Restraunt Called Aqua Dolce, where Josh accidentally ordered an entire bottle of wine (a small bottle, but still a whole bottle!) Normally, that wouldn't be an issue with two of us, but since I am "with child" I am tragically not partaking in any of the sweet nectar of the gods. Josh was a trooper and took one for the team and gobbled up the last drops.


We made our way to Argegno a town a little further north on the West coast to try out the Funiculare. We were going to drive, but the manager at the hotel informed us the road was closed to Argegno because of a rock slide that had taken out a large portion of the road. Instead we took the Ferry on which I encountered a not so patient Italian man who swore at me in Italian as I tried to purchase our Ferry tickets. Lovely. I purchased roundtrip tickets for us, not really having a good idea of when the last ferry headed back to our town of Moltrasio. I spent most of the Ferry ride stressing about how we were getting back and what time we needed to be back from the Funiculare to catch the last Ferry, INSTEAD of enjoying the beautiful scenery. I finally worked up the nerve, along with the help of my new Italian phrasebook to ask what time the last ferry departed. A nicer Italian man who spoke a little english understood my broken Italian and showed me the last times that the ferry departed. Phew! Back to enjoying the scenery. The lake was gorgeous and we did manage to see the rockslide which took out the road and what looked like to be an entire half of a villa!

We get off the Ferry in Argegno and have no clue where the Funiculare is located. My best guess was to head towards the mountain and we would find it. But knowing myself and how I hate to wander without a firm destination in mind especially with the heat AND being six months pregnant, I knew askings someone for directions and quickly, would be the best option. We made our way to a cute little gelato shop where I asked the girl behind the counter "Parla Inglese?" Translation "Do you speak English" to which she replied "Yes" AHHH, what a sweet sound to my ears, especially after my rude Italian man experience. She sweetly instructed us on how to get to the Funiculare. A short 10 minute walk and we were there! Here she is in all of her scary glory.


I really don't do heights that well, rollercoasters, or diving boards, so this was a bit of a stretch for me, especially knowing how old this cable car was. I half expected burly men to be hoisting us up the mountain with ropes. This was not the case of course. We got our tickets and up we went with the push of a button from an "engineer?" That's what I am going to call him just to make myself feel better, although I'm pretty sure he was probably just trained to push the green button and take our money. It was much easier going up than down I must say. I suppose the view distracted me from the thought of plummeting to my death on the way up. Once to the top, the threat of losing my life was not lost. Josh decided to follow some others a little further up the mountain toward a small area for some photos. I'm glad we did, because the pictures we got were great, but at the time, with me in my sandals, a little off balance from my growing belly and with an active 2 year old by my side...it was still a bit concerning. Once my nerves calmed down a bit though, I really did feel a little closer to Heaven up there. I couldn't help but take in God's beauty and the blessing I had, to be making such great memories with my family.



We hiked into the town of Pigra (the mountain top town) in search of gelato which we had promised Mallory. We saw one little ice cream shop, but they just had pre-wrapped freezer ice cream, no gelato. We decided we would head to a small playground and let Mallory toddle around. I went and took a peek at the town cemetary (sounds creepy as I write this..hahah) Unbeknownst to me, there was a Mass taking place at the church next to the cemetary. It dawned on me as as a beautiful song sung by the congregation came pouring out of the windows. The view combined with the sweet song coming out of the church made for a moment I won't soon forget. I even managed to snap this cool picture of a little lizard friend basking in the sun on the cemetary wall, he didn't have a rosary, but I imagined him paying his respects to those memorialized in the small graveyard.

Back down the Funiculare to Argengno for Gelato and then a much more enjoyable ride back to our hotel on the ferry. The ferry stop was right across the street from our hotel, so the location was great. A quick peak at the few restraunts within walking distance and we eventually settled on the restraunt at our hotel. How convenient! Dinner seemed to last forever with a 2 year old who hadn't had a nap, but eventually we made it through with the help of a generous portion of Tiramisu to calm my nerves and it was off to bed!

The next day we headed into the actual town of Como where we found a great waterfront park for Mallory. She had a blast playing, riding the kiddie train and the merry-go-round. We had lunch and then more gelato. I must say though, that this gelato was the best I have ever had. Maybe it was the combination of flavors I chose, but it was deeee-vine! And if there is one thing I know how to do in Italian....it is to order Gelato! I got Tiramisu and Coffee Gelato. It was the most creamy delicious concoction EVER! Are you salivating yet, cause I am! After our gelato stop it was a quick walk back through the park, a bathroom break that I paid 50 euro cents for, and a nice wave to the Volta Temple/museum (a museum built to honor Volta...the guy who invented the electric battery)


"Choo Choo"
 If you recall from a previous blog, I'm not one for museums. This concluded our first official Lake Como Trip. I'm sure there will be at least a few others, especially since it is so close. I'd love to see it in the winter time,  with the towns covered in snow. What piques my interest though, is how they get the snow off the streets, and how people manage to get anywhere when it snows?! Oh how romantic it would be to be snowed in at a luxuirous villa, with private chef, in house masseuse, maid, nanny..George...uh..I mean Josh....OK, I'll snap out of it and come back to reality....at least for now :)
Ciao!
 (Excuse any mispellings, I can't figure out spell check!)

No comments:

Post a Comment